Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Adventures in Nostalgia #3: The Rockers Break Up

Anyone who knows me is aware that one of the many dirty little secrets I have is that I am a fan of pro-wrestling. Since I was 3-years-old I have been obsessed. My week’s would focus around Saturday’s where I had WWF Superstars at 1pm and then WCW Saturday Night at 6:05 on TBS. Sunday’s were filled with WWF Wrestling Challenge at noon and sometimes a PPV at night which I would watch by looking at the scrambled pictures on TV.

This obsession brings me to my latest induction into Adventures in Nostalgia.

The year is 1992 and Shawn Michaels and Marty Jannetty are a tag team known as The Rockers. Trouble has been brewing for weeks and things are about to come to blows. In real life this was because Jannetty’s non-stop screwing up due to his party life was causing problems and management had enough – but what the hell did I know?

So the stage is set for one of the most shocking moments of my childhood as The Rockers are seen for the last time as a tag team on this edition of The Barber Shop…



Ho-lee shit!

Remember, this is 1992 – you never saw shit like that when I was a kid. Throwing Jannetty through the glass, are you kidding me? I was crushed. How could Shawn do this?

After this day both men went in about as opposite directions as you could go. Michaels was repackaged as a singles wrestler and ended up being a top-ten performer of all-time. He is still going strong today. Despite his immense talent, Jannetty was fired. He was brought back numerous times over the years but each time was let go because of his addictions. What a shame.

-Kobes

No comments: