Wednesday, January 18, 2012

February Movie List

I'm going to start a little trend here where I'll list out some of the movies coming out every month and throw in a little preview along with my thoughts and a link to the trailer.

I'll do it for every month but chances are I'll update this when Carmine updates us on the Carmy's.

My thought process when judging these films without seeing them is to first look at the director, writer and actors. To me this is the best way to gauge how a movie will be. Then the trailer, if I can get a little preview going of what I'm going to see then good shit. Finally the synopsis. There are just some trailers that don't give you enough of an idea of what's going on. A synopsis gives us a little more to work with.

Let's get started.

The Woman in Black

Release date: February 3

What you need to know: Harry Potter sees dead people

Synopsis: A young lawyer travels to a remote village where he discovers the vengeful ghost of a scorned woman is terrorizing the locals.


My thoughts: I respect Harry Potter for trying to break away from the Harry Potter typecast. He did some Broadway shit and now he's moving on to a flat out horror movie. As far as horror movies go, you know what to expect: some creepy imagery, a lot of jump out of your seat scares and just a lot of darkness. The true fright of the horror movie lies in the story and there have only been a handful in the last few years that have had a story terrifying enough to actually be scary. The Omen is the best example of this and that movie is a good 30 years old (I'd say Paranormal Activity is the best recent example). So throw in the poor recent history of the genre and the fact this isn't frightening enough to be rated R (it's PG-13) and I foresee a loser.

Verdict: If you're really into the genre this might have enough scares to be worth a rental. But I'm giving this one a PASS.

Chronicle

Release Date: February 3

What you need to know: The love child of Cloverfield and Kick Ass

Synopsis: Three high school friends gain superpowers after making an incredible discovery. Soon, though, they find their lives spinning out of control and their bond tested as they embrace their darker sides.


My thoughts: I'll admit, I'm a sucker for these type of films. Cloverfield is one of my favorite movies of the last 5 years. I think Blair Witch Project and the Paranormal Activity flicks are genius. Why? I have no idea. Maybe it's the "realness" of it. Maybe it's the simplicity. Regardless of the reason, I'm obviously pretty excited to see how this turns out.

Verdict: If you're a sucker like me you'll be there opening weekend. But speaking objectively, there has yet to be a "found footage" flick that got all the critics hard. There tends to be a 50/50 split. So WAIT for the reviews on this one.

Big Miracle

Release Date: February 3

What you need to know: Jim Halpert saves the whales. Gets the girl. Cries.

Synopsis: In small town Alaska, a news reporter recruits his ex-girlfriend - a Greenpeace volunteer - on a campaign to save a family of gray whales trapped by rapidly forming ice in the Arctic Circle.


My thoughts: I'm not a big "save the world" movie guy. I like animals. I respect the environment. I try to limit my carbon footprint. I just really don't like these tearjerker animal flicks. The cast is good. Kristen Bell, Drew Barrymore, Jim Halpert are all likable people.

Verdict: Despite the likable cast, I already know how this plays out. Animals are in trouble. Small towns bands together around them. They do their best to save them. Cue the big booming music and the tearful conclusion. PASS.

Safe House

Release Date: February 10

What you need to know: 3 words... Den Fucking Zel.

Synopsis: A young CIA agent is tasked with looking after a fugitive in a safe house. But when the safe house is attacked, he finds himself on the run with his charge.


My Thoughts: Denzel baby. He's playing the bad guy again and the whenever he does that he knocks it out of the fucking park (Training Day).

Verdict: Not even the presence of Ryan Reynolds can keep me away from watching Denzel kick some ass. MUST SEE.

Journey 2: The Mysterious Island

Release Date: February 10

What you need to know: FINALLLLLY, THE ROCK HAS COME BACK TO WHAT CAN POSSIBLY BE A DECENT MOVIE!!!!!!!

Synopsis: Sean Anderson partners with his mom's boyfriend on a mission to find his grandfather, who is thought to be missing on a mythical island.


My thoughts: Needless to say, I'm a big fan of the Rock. I saw a trailer for this in 3D yesterday and I have to say that if you're a fan of 3D you'll enjoy the visuals this movie is packing. If you're not then I have to admit this one doesn't look too promising. It could have its moments though.

Verdict: Here's the issue with 3D movies. If you're going to see it, you have to see it on the big screen. I highly doubt this movie will be good enough to drop the big bills in the theater though. PASS. Watch the trailer though, the end with the Rock is hilarious.

Ok that's it for now. Enjoy that and I'll come back for Part 2 tomorrow.

No comments: